Summertime is the best time for cheap thrilling, don’t you agree?
I feel like the whole world opens up once the sun finally comes out here in Portland. I blink twice, and suddenly we’ve gone from cozy little hibernators to social crazy folks- filling our days with hikes and bikes and concerts and cold beverages and general loveliness. And, bless their sunny little hearts, most summertime activities are cheap! Some are free! It’s the best thing ever!
I know you don’t all live here, but I’m sharing anyway. Not all these activities are Portland exclusive, though some of them are probably worth coming to visit me for. Today’s cheap thrill challenge? Adopt my summer bucket list, or make a list of your own, and get out there and live your life while the sun is shining!
Summertime Bucket List
1. Eat dinner in a park at least twice a month.
2. Ride my bike whenever my car isn’t absolutely necessary.
3. Hike somewhere amazing and stand under a waterfall. Freeze.
4. Go on walks for no reason.
5. Sit in the backyard and read for hours in the afternoon at least once a week. Feel no guilt.
6. Sleep under the stars at least once.
7. Do one thing I’ve never done before.
8. Practice using the library to feed my backyard reading habit. Return books on time.
9. Attend as many things in parks as possible, including (but not limited to) Star Trek in the Park, Shakespeare in the Park, and Mt. Tabor’s Concerts in the Park. Bring bread, cheese, olives, and blueberries, wear a cute dress, and feel ohsodelightfully fabulous.
10. Go to a pool party. Wear an actual bathing suit.
11. Host at least two theme parties. Preferably a fiesta and a southern-inspired picnic (mint juleps, fried chicken, big hats, “I do declare!” exclamations, etc.)
12. Decide what I’m making everyone for Christmas. Cringe a little.
13. Grow food! Cycle new crops in as the season progresses. Eat what we grow.
15. Put my toes in the ocean once a month.
16. Remember to take pictures at the Oregon Country Fair. (I’ve never been, but Fav is a huge fan. Wish me luck!)
17. Watch West Side Story at Flicks on the Bricks. Sing along.
18. Send greeting cards to three people for no reason. Not particularly seasonally dependent, that one.
19. Sing songs around a campfire.
20. Avoid sunburn. All summer long. We’ll see how well that goes.
Lovely friends, I’d love to hear your summertime bucket lists. I hope each of your summers is full of all of the things that make you your absolute happiest.